NL Employers' Council
Jump Recruitment, on behalf of our client, NL Employers’ Council, is seeking a full-time Director of Policy & Public Affairs to join their organization in Mount Pearl, NL
The NL Employers’ Council advocates on matters that impact employers’ ability to contribute to the economic growth and prosperity of the province. We are the only province-wide business association representing senior leaders from all industries. We promote competitive, long term sustainable public policy that will increase prosperity for all Newfoundlanders & Labradorians.
The Director of Policy & Public Affairs is responsible for research and development of written policy positions, and for the development and execution of advocacy and public relations strategies. The Director of Policy & Public Affairs works as part of a small, energetic and results based team of professional staff and volunteers to enhance the organization’s advocacy priorities and reputation.
- Conduct all policy research. Create professional, concise evidence-based position papers, policy briefs, and background documents on relevant issues, with a strong focus on economic, business and employment related public policy analysis.
- Stay informed on current and emerging advocacy issues, provincially and nationally. Obtain, monitor and analyze relevant economic and statistical data and policies and conduct outreach to members, stakeholders and research partners to stay current on emerging trends and for policy research and position development.
- Public Relations
- Develop, manage and execute the public relations strategy of the Employers’ Council, utilizing both strategic and tactical skills, as directed and approved by the Executive Director.
- This includes all media relations, including: building and maintaining relationships, acting as first point of contact, pitching and fielding/managing media opportunities, speech writing, key messaging and media preparation for the spokesperson; internal communications and stakeholder messaging.
- Advocacy & Government Relations
- Develop, monitor, maintain and execute advocacy and GR strategies as directed and approved by the Executive Director.
- Perform an annual environmental scan of the membership, business and policy environment and make recommendations on NLEC key advocacy issues.
- Assist the Executive Director in government relations and public relations activities, this may include relationship building and outreach, meeting material preparation and follow up.
- Events and Services
- Work closely with the Executive Director and other staff on the development, management, promotion and execution of events, in particular PR and communications functions. Ensure events and services are on brand, and incorporated into advocacy, GR and PR strategies, and leveraged to increase media profile, brand awareness and reputation, where appropriate.
- 10+ years policy and public affairs experience (incl. policy and position development, advocacy, government relations and public relations); Business organization experience an asset
- Completion of a minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant area
- Must have strong, demonstrated research experience; can analyze research and data to form evidence-based positions
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write with a clear and concise style
- Training and/or experience in economic and public policy research and writing
- Strong verbal communicator with public relations and media training or experience
- The Employers’ Council is a nonpartisan organization, candidates must be free of conflict of interest
- Energetic and ambitious with a commitment to excellence, quality, and finding solutions
- Flexibility; this job will sometimes require work outside of normal office hours, including evenings and weekends to fulfill responsibilities.
This position will report to and work closely with the Executive Director and work in conjunction with the Marketing and Member Relationship Specialist on internal communications, branding and events, and other staff where required. We are a small, hands-on team that works hard together to ensure a competitive business environment, economic growth and prosperity. We offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits.
- A friendly, supportive, inclusive team environment that values a healthy and respectful workplace
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave package and flexible work arrangement
- Opportunities for professional development, to network with business, government and thought leaders, and to get involved and make a positive difference in the community
This is your opportunity to solve complex problems, exercise your creativity, and contribute to a bright future for Newfoundland & Labrador. Apply today!
Ashley Verge | Recruitment Specialist | firstname.lastname@example.org
We embrace diversity. Individuals that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants considered for the position will be subject to a background check. This opportunity is only available for candidates legally entitled to work in Canada.